“Hello! Is this an express delivery service?”; “Yes it is. How can I help you”; replied a voice. “Oh I had sent a document to the university in Finland last week and I am calling now to know whether it reached there or not because yesterday was the deadline for application”. “Okay let me check sir”; replied the same voice. “We are really sorry sir! It didn’t reached there yesterday rather it will reach there today”. The phone was cut and the dreams were scattered.

Ok let’s start from the beginning. It started a month before. I had just completed my intermediate level in science and I was thinking of going abroad for my further study. I live in Nepal which is a poor South Asian country in the lap of Mount Everest. Since this is a poor country there are very less opportunity to get work and earn money. To talk about educational institution of Nepal, most of them are not of good standard and you don’t want to study there and rest which are of good standard you cannot afford to study there. I wanted to get to abroad because there are some more benefits apart from study. To be frank, the main motive of most of the students who go abroad is to earn money. So almost cent percent of student after intermediate level want to go abroad (except some exceptions). I too belonged to that group. Oh wait….. I am extremely sorry that I forgot to introduce myself, I am Rohan from Katmandu and I wanted to go to Finland.

Why Finland? Oh that was not an appropriate question. Why not Finland would be the appropriate question. European degree, vast number of courses, international standard colleges with lots of facilities and that’s all for FREE (and not to forget 25 hours per week work permit for students). Don’t you think this is a JACKPOT? What more a student like us expect?. The young people like us are really frustrated about the present situation of Nepal and the violence occurring in some parts here. Every young foot carries here some burden of taking birth in the third world. In fact we don’t want to be here anymore and if you check the passport office then you can get the clear knowledge about the great number of people trying to go abroad. Who wouldn’t want to go to safe and rich European country having lots of opportunities’ and friendly people (I haven’t met them personally, I read this in internet)?

Then Finland began to rule in my head and I started gathering all the information. I too gave IELTS test as English was my secondary language and started processing documents. I desperately wanted to go there and I was lucky to know that there were some additional places in one college and I applied there. I was really hoping to get there because my academic results were okay and my IELTS score was good. I had a great hope to be selected and get a visa. After one day of application deadline I called to the express delivery service and then “Hello! Is this a express delivery service?”; “Yes it is. How can I help you”; replied a voice. “Oh I had sent a document to the university in Finland last week and I am calling you to know whether it reached there or not because yesterday was the deadline for application”. “Okay let me check sir”; replied the same voice” We are really sorry sir! It didn’t reached there yesterday rather it will reach there today”. The phone was cut and the dreams were scattered.
I was broken; my dreams seemed like a broken glass that could never be fixed. God I was blown! I had never thought I could be such an emotional sometime. And what was that? The rain started to fall!! Yeah it was a consequence but for a while I felt that the clouds were crying for me. This middle class kid was blown again in the race of life just because of some delay in reaching document. I wouldn’t have felt such sad if I was rejected after they inspected my document. But I paid for other people’s mistake, a company’s mistake. What would I do now? Run away and go to some places with no people and live there or face the truth (though it was bitter) and go home? I wasn’t strong enough to take first option so I went home.
“Hey kid! Why are you so late? Where were you? Come I’ll put a food for you”; said mom after seeing me. “No I don’t want to eat now. I think I want to take a rest for a while”; I was wishing to be alone. “Are you all right son?”; “yes mom, everything’s all right. I just had a bad day.”

Some UNREADABLE posts
6 Mistakes Blogger should Avoid While Writing.
Praise, Beg, Misuse And Irritate: 4 New Ways To Promote Your Blog
What Should I do Now? Start Selling POTATOES?

1 comments
  1. footiam October 5, 2007 at 7:33 AM  

    We always dream of going somewhere else.